Touching the sky
The elevation of the property (850-1000 meters), the excellent sun exposure and large wooded area around it, along with its long history make the place look a privileged and magical. The farm has an old hermit and vats of fermenting grapes carved into the rocks by the monks of the Hospitaller Order (twelfth century). The wine is fermented in different materials: wooden vats and vats of stainless steel and natural stone. With these three materials wines get very different tones and shades and great aromatic complexity. Because of our belief in preserving the environment we do not use any herbicide, insecticide or fungicide, except those permitted in organic agriculture.
- Ekam Riesling: Slight green olive colour. Hints of minerality, citrus and also some yellow fruits (vines peaches) as well as orange blossom. A good acidity is surrounded by glycerol flavours of botrytis and also hints of fresh and crispy fruits coming from the cool climate.
Ekam 2008: 90 points Parker
Ekam 2009: 92 points Guía Peñin
Ekam 2009: 92 points Guía Vino ABC
Ekam 2010: 92 points Guía Vino ABC “In a few month we would have raise the ponctuation”
- Taleia Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon: Light green olive colour. Mineral notes, fresh chamomile, vanilla and some undergrowth.The palate is spicy with a well integrated acidity. Long aftertaste, with a variety of fruit notes.
Taleia 2009: 92 points Parker
Taleia 2010: 94 points Guía Peñin
Taleia 2009: 95 points Guía Vino ABC “I consider it the best white of the Guide of this year”
Taleia 2010: 95 points Guía Vino ABC
- Quest Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc/Petit Verdot: Red cherry colour. Complex and intense nose, with a touch of floral aspects, notes of black fruits (blackberry) and light nuances of vanilla. Palate is Intense, acidity well expressed and long. The wine will let its entire complex and nice flavours evolve in bottle.
Quest 2009: 90 points Guía Peñin
Quest 2009: 93 points Guía Vino ABC “High quality wine. Know and can”
- Thalarn Syrah: Red violet colour, Intense nose with a lot of complexity. Flower notes and spices (clave and pepper). Palate is silky entrance with nerve. Soft tannins. Fresh fruit finish (cherries) with spice notes. Alter taste is intense, high acidity and very long.
Thalarn 2009: 94 points Guía Peñin
- Acusp Pinot Noir: Red pomegranate fruit colour, floral notes on the nose (vines flowers, jasmine…) as well as red fruits like strawberry and raspberry. Palate is seductive entry with good acidity and long final. The wine hasn´t been filtered or stabilized so precipitations can be found in it.
Acusp 2009: 91 points Guía Peñin
Raül Bobet, the former technical director of Torres, carefully selected an area in the Pyrenees, not far south of Andorra, as insurance against climate change.
Best winemaker of the year 2011 by ACS (Catalan Sommelier Association) ==> Full article here (Spanish)
Critics, journalists (Jancis Robinson, Steven Spurrier, Jordi Melendo)
Jancis Robinson ==> Ekam 2008 ”I never thought I would ever be convinced by a Spanish Riesling, but Castell d’Encus, Ekam 2008 Costers del Segre has won me over” .==> Full article here
Steven Spurrier ==> Spurrier’s World, Decanter, Sept 2011 ==> Quest 2008 ”Rich, smooth black fruit spice and minerals, complex, balanced and very individual. Drink 2012-2018″
Jordi Melendo ==> El mundo vino.com ==> Full article here (spanish)
Press talks about it
El Mundo ==> Entre las barricas by Rycardo de Paz ==> Full article here (spanish)
El Periódico ==> By Quim Vila ==> Full article here (spanish)
Mesa y negocios ==> El rincón de Jordi by Jordi Melendo ==> Full article here (spanish)
The winery in video
Three great videos by Winebox TV (Henry Butler) showing the philosophy of the winery
Making Wine in the Rocks of Spain
Making Wine in the montains
From Torres to Tiny – a winemaker’s story